Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Monday: Front Squats, My favorite!!!




Although I just posted my Forever Strong plan, I am actually in my 3rd week of training.

Monday’s training: FRONT SQUATS  YAY!!!!


This isn't me: at least not yet J
Warm Up
  • ·         Foam rolling
  • ·         Mobility drills
  • ·         Dynamic flexibility

I’ll admit I hate to warm up, and if Mike didn’t program it, I would do about ½ of what I do now.  But since forcing myself to be more diligent with it, I can attest to noticing a marked improvement especially in my hip flexibility and mobility especially when it comes to the front squat.

Lifting portion of our program:
Power:
A1: Box jump (stick landing) 3x3
A2: Med Ball Slams 3x5: these are a great way to get out pent up aggression:


Take a med ball reach up as high as you can above your head and then SLAM it into the ground. Get pissed and slam that sucker.  It feels great. Very cathartic

 I highly recommend using an “old school” med ball. The kind that is filled with sawdust or sand so it doesn't bounce.  If you use one of the new types that bounce, you risk having the ball bounce up and SLAM you in the face.  Believe me it’s not fun.

Strength:

Primary Movement:
  • ·         B1:Front Squats: 6 sets of 5

o   2 sets:  70lbs, 4 sets:  75lbs.

My first set at 75 I could only complete 4 reps as my form felt compromised on that last rep.  Felt myself leaning forward a bit.  Took a longer rest then was able to complete 3 more sets at 75 for a full 5 reps. 
·       
  •   B2: side lying clams: 3 sets of 5  

Secondary movements:
  • ·         C1: Romanian Deadlift 4 sets 6 at 115lbs
  • ·         C2: xband walks
  • ·         C3: Body saw

Conditioning: Mike left it up to me to figure this part out.

Jump rope 20 seconds as hard as I can rest 10 seconds 8 rounds = 4 minutes.

Technically this is a Tabata protocol but since I wasn’t a mass of quivering jelly curled up in a ball on the floor of the gym when I finished, which if you performed it correctly that’s how you should feel,  I’ll just detail what I did.

IS IT TIME TO EAT YET? Monday’s food consumption:

Yes I ate 9 times yesterday.

1: Breakfast: meat and spinach “muffin”: ground beef, onion and spinach sautéed up then baked in muffin tins, on a bed of baby spinach.


2: Peri-workout: Baby Carrots

I discovered I perform best when I’m not full but not hungry.  Honestly I like to be almost hungry. So I like to keep something easy on hand just in case, that I can nibble if need be.
  • ·         Baby carrots,
  • ·         Nuts
  • ·         Greens plus Bar

3:Post-Workout: Egg, cheese, bacon on a toasted English muffing and cup of coffee.
I get my sandwich at a little café that makes them fresh to order with real eggs.

4: Lunch:  Meat muffin on bed of baby spinach and mushrooms.

5: Snack 1: Starbucks Chocolate cake pop.  Love these little balls of dense chocolaty goodness.
Perfect size and richness to satisfy chocolate craving without over indulging

6: Snack 2:  Orange

7: Snack 3: pumpkin seeds and pistachios

8: Dinner: baked chicken with mushrooms and broccoli

9: Desert:  a square of dark 70% chocolate

That was my day yesterday.  How was yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment