Tuesday, March 26, 2013

De-Load week, planned slug week


De-load week!




Last week was de-load week for me.
What is a de-load week?  That is an excellent question. Glad you asked.

A de-load week is a planned “rest” week where you give your body a chance to fully recuperate from several weeks of training before hitting it hard again.

De-load weeks can take several forms including not going to the gym at all and doing something completely different.  BUT for me it meant greatly reducing the volume (number of sets and reps) as well as decreasing the intensity (amount of weight I’m pulling/pushing)
The idea is to just grease the movements, paying close attention to form, allowing my central nervous system to reset. Get plenty of rest and eat.

To be honest, I didn’t really like de-load week.  Purposely not going hard and holding back made me feel lazy and unmotivated.  I also don’t think I ate as well as I should have.  I find the harder I hit it in the gym, the better my nutrition.  I was also extremely tired all week.  Not sure if it was because A:  I really needed the rest which is the point of de-load week OR B: it was psychological OR most likely C: BOTH A&B.

Anyway, I didn't like it.  BUT one thing it did accomplish, I was so ready to get back in the gym on Monday morning and hit the ground running.



So Maybe De-load week as hard as it was, actually accomplished what it was meant to.
I’ll keep you posted

No comments:

Post a Comment