Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Paradigm Shift


In the Trenches: A Paradigm Shift

Last week I addressed the idea of making a paradigm shift in thinking of nutrition from a place of restriction
“I can’t eat….” To one of empowerment “I don’t WANT to eat….”

I’d like to continue on in the same vain this week.  I’ve been thinking a lot about this paradigm shift and I realized that when I concentrate on getting strong and eating in such a way that will support my endeavor, I actually eat better and feel more empowered and in control and really good things start to happen.

 I get stronger, that goes without saying.  My body fat usually decreases but more importantly, when I feel strong,  I have a healthier body image regardless of my weight or body fat.

I don’t feel deprived and I’m not always thinking about what I “can’t eat” but about “What I DO WANT to eat to support my goal”.
Terms such as “diet”, “weight loss”, and “fat loss” connote negativity and self-denial.  Whereas terms such as strength and health are positive and empowering.

When making decisions about the food we eat, let’s try to think how does this food affect my body?  Will what I am about to eat feed my body and allow it to work the way it was designed?  Will it help boost my immune system?  Will it support proper digestion? Will it the proper uptake of and production of the hormones that promote good emotional health and sleep?

If we keep in mind that our bodies are a series of complex chemical reactions, then food when broken down into its chemical components is in fact medicine, and good nutrition should be the first thing we think of when discussing health and preventing illness.

Eat a variety of vegetables in copious amounts, throw in a few servings of fruit, plenty of lean protein, some healthy fats: olive oil, olives, nuts, avocado etc. and some whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, millet and whole wheat to name a few.  Drink plenty of water, and keep consumption of added sugar and chemical additives to a minimum if at all.

Eat, enjoy and be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment