Monday, December 3, 2012

Sugar Addiction


In The Trenches:
*Friday: November 16, 2012.
Please note, this was written a few weeks ago and sent to my clients,
eventually I will get caught up and the content will be in sync.


On Wednesday, I shared how I “cheated” with my husband and shared a Triple Chocolate Brownie in a Jar.
As the week wore on, I discovered that there were some interesting repercussions from that experience, which I never considered
And I’m sure you haven’t either, because, unless we are mindful and connected with our bodies, we would miss the connection.

Which leads me to today’s topic:  SUGAR ADDICTION


Sequence of events:
Tuesday:
·        Brownie in a Jar; could not stop eating it until it was gone, even though, I was full and getting to the point where I was feeling not so good.

Wednesday:
·        After lunch I found myself CRAVING sugar.  It was all I could do to resist getting a little treat at Peet’s to go with my coffee.  Now that’s the holidays are here, Peet’s has a nice big glass jar full of individually wrapped chocolate covered Oreos.  It was tempting: I thought to myself, it’s just one.  There is nothing wrong with just one and it’s not like it’s a whole package.  It’s a small controlled amount, just something to take the edge of the craving.  (sound familiar right-the justification)  BUT then my rational brain woke up. What OH NO you don’t!!  You told the ladies you were going to be transparent, you told them that you would be posting what you eat.  If you get that Oreo, you are going to have to post it on the blog, THEN are you going to start justifying it?. but it’s just one.  It’s controlled amount etc.  and then what.  And what happens tomorrow and the next day, it’s just one…..


Thursday:
·      No sugar cravings what so ever.
·        This confirms that I obviously have some level of sugar addiction, or propensity for sugar addiction.
·        Does that mean I never eat desert again? Yeah right, I’m no saint, and let’s face it Chocolate along with Bacon (we’ll get to bacon later) ARE the food of the gods.  But it means that I have to be mindful that if I do choose to indulge there may be some residual consequences in terms of withdrawal.

Sugar is addictive: same as drugs, caffeine, cigarettes etc.
I have broken my sugar habit before, and just like an addict, if I start to eat it again, even if it’s just one little thing like a cookie, it starts the cycle all over again.

I have long known from my own experience that sugar is addictive as I have been able to break out of the habit, but recently many top experts in the fields of nutrition, cardiovascular medicine and neuro- science are actively researching and discovering the extent of the negative impact sugar has on our health, from obesity, cardio vascular disease, cancer and maybe even Alzheimer’s.

Many of you may remember speaking about a 60 minutes segment back in April that spoke to this issue.

Here is the link to that segment.  I highly recommend that each of you take the time to watch it.

My Food LOG:
Wednesday:
Work out: Rest day.

Meal 1:
·        Ezekiel Bread
·        Cashew Butter
·        Polaner all fruit.

Meal 2:
·        Pear
·        Protein shake
Meal 3:
·        Chicken
·        Mixed veggies
Meal 4:
·        Elite Gourmet protein bar
Meal 5
·        Salad: baby spinach, chicken sausage, portabella mushrooms, pear, raspberry vinaigrette
Meal 6:
·        Protein shake.

Thursday:
Work out: normally this is a training day for me, but I switched it to Saturday so I can work out with a friend.
Meal 1
·        Ezekiel Bread
·        Cashew Butter
·        Polaner all fruit
Meal 2
·        Heart Thrive cookie: the one we sell at the studio
·        Protein Shake
Meal 3:
·        Turkey burger, lettuce, tomato, cheese, bacon (2 slices: because everything is better with bacon-and a couple of slices every once in a while won’t kill you) on a whole wheat bun.
Meal 4:
·        Handful of pistachios
Meal 5:
·        Spinach salad: fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, roasted red peppers and steak tips, balsamic vinaigrette.

 Until next time, remember you can't out train a poor diet.


1 comment: